Dr Graeme Colin Carrick-Ranson
Research | Current
My overall research focus is in the field of cardiovascular physiology. My research interests include exploring changes in cardiovascular structure and function in response to aging, diabetes and obesity and understanding their potential effect on exercise function. Of particular interest is the effect of acute and lifelong exercise training on cardiovascular regulation at rest and during exercise in aging and clinical populations.
Selected publications and creative works (Research Outputs)
- Howden, E. J., Carrick-Ranson, G., Sarma, S., Hieda, M., Fujimoto, N., & Levine, B. D. (2017). Effects of Sedentary Aging and Lifelong Exercise on Left Ventricular Systolic Function. Medicine and science in sports and exercise10.1249/mss.0000000000001464
- Nolan, P. B., Carrick-Ranson, G., Stinear, J. W., Reading, S. A., & Dalleck, L. C. (2017). Prevalence of metabolic syndrome and metabolic syndrome components in young adults: A pooled analysis. Preventive medicine reports, 7, 211-215. 10.1016/j.pmedr.2017.07.004
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Paul Nolan, James Stinear, Stacey Reading
- Abdullah, S. M., Barkley, K. W., Bhella, P. S., Hastings, J. L., Matulevicius, S., Fujimoto, N., ... Gandhi, N. (2016). Lifelong Physical Activity Regardless of Dose Is Not Associated With Myocardial Fibrosis. Circulation. Cardiovascular imaging, 9 (11).
- Carrick-Ranson, G., Fujimoto, N., Shafer, K. M., Hastings, J. L., Shibata, S., Palmer, M. D., ... Levine, B. D. (2016). The effect of 1 year of Alagebrium and moderate-intensity exercise training on left ventricular function during exercise in seniors: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of applied physiology (Bethesda, Md. : 1985), 121 (2), 528-536. 10.1152/japplphysiol.00021.2016
- Nolan, P. B., Carrick-Ranson, G., Stinear, J., Reading, S., de Pozo Cruz, B., & Dalleck, L. C. (2016). Non-obese Young Adults Have a High Prevalence of Metabolic Syndrome Components.: 1947 Board #99 June 2, 2: 00 PM - 3: 30 PM.. Medicine and science in sports and exercise.
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Borja del Pozo Cruz, James Stinear, Paul Nolan, Stacey Reading
- Carrick-Ranson, G., Reading, S., & Morrison, C. (2016). A Comparison of Heartrate and Rating of Perceived Exertion-based Methods for Prescribing Exercise Intensity in Individuals with Permanent Atrial Fibrillation. Heart, Lung and Circulation. 10.1016/j.hlc.2016.05.099
Other University of Auckland co-authors: Stacey Reading
- Shafer, K. M., Janssen, L., Carrick-Ranson, G., Rahmani, S., Palmer, D., Fujimoto, N., ... Brickner, B. (2015). Cardiovascular response to exercise training in the systemic right ventricle of adults with transposition of the great arteries. The Journal of physiology, 593 (11), 2447-2458. 10.1113/jp270280
- Best, S. A., Bivens, T. B., Palmer, M. D., Boyd, K. N., Galbreath, M. M., Okada, Y., ... Hastings, J. L. (2014). Heart rate recovery after maximal exercise is blunted in hypertensive seniors. JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSIOLOGY, 117 (11), 1302-1307. 10.1152/japplphysiol.00395.2014